Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Day 6...Kenpo X

One week down and many to follow! I was looking forward to Kenpo X more than any other workout because it's unlike anything I've ever done before, and most people find it to be quite enjoyable. 

Once again, I went over Jason's house for this one because it's nice having someone to workout with because they will push you to work harder than you would by yourself. The only hazard was the very real possibility of planting a kick to his torso, so we maintained quite a wide berth between us. The warm up is classic P90X...throw you right into it and get you sweating. My quads were killing me during the downward dog/runner's pose stretches, and the whole time I'm wondering why the warm up is so painful. Well it's because when you are kicking later in the workout, the last thing you want is to pull your groin muscle trying to kick a little higher for increased intensity. Oh well, I'm only bitching because the term "flexible" has never been associated with me and probably still won't until Day 85 or so. 

Kenpo was awesome! Loved the moves and loved the intensity it demanded of you. I probably sweat more today then Plyo even....of course I wasn't dying a little inside like during Plyo. Punch, kick, block, punch punch punch, it was straight out of Karate Kid or some shit...Tony even had us yelling and grunting at the TV...that must've been a sight to behold. After 50 minutes of living out Street Fighter fantasies we retired to the kitchen for the always needed Recovery Drink. I got home, made dinner, took a shower, and watched South Park...which was hilarious tonight!

Today's Meals

Breakfast: Wheat Bagel with Peanut Butter. Glass of Juicy Juice Berry.
Snack: 2 Pieces of String Cheese
Lunch: Chicken Salad and 1 cup of Healthy Choice Country Veggie Soup. I forgot my apple today.
Snack: Baby carrots and hummus. Protein bar. Accelerade before and after workout.
Dinner: 3 oz. Salmon fillet with brown rice.

I was hungry all day today. I think I do better when I have a larger breakfast like egg whites and turkey bacon. Otherwise it feels like I am playing catch-up with my stomach for the rest of the day. The protein bar was one of Jason's and it hit the spot PERFECTLY...I had a lot of energy for the workout. Also, I put an order in to BeachBody today for a box of the P90X Protein Bars. I need more protein for my nutrition plan and this seemed like an easy way to get it. 

A quick note about headaches.....I am prone to tension headaches that appear halfway through the day. I had one on Day 1 and it wasn't pleasant pushing that hard with a pounding headache. I felt one form today and I chose to take an Excedrin. I don't recommend this because those suckers are loaded with Caffeine which is a diuretic. Basically, it dehydrates me and makes me jittery. Unfortunately, its the only headache remedy that works effectively for me. I don't think that its good to take when you are doing such a hard-ass workout like P90X but I had no choice because if I don't nip these things in the bud, it will only get worse as the day goes on. I think the headaches are a result of lack of caffeine...I don't drink soda anymore and I have cut back on coffee. So I'm going to try drinking coffee in the mornings to avoid this issue in the future. I'll keep you posted.

Tomorrow is a rest day but I think I am going to choose to do X Stretch in the morning in preparation for Week 2. Until tomorrow, have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment