Friday, March 27, 2009

Day 1...ouch

Day 1 of P90X is done...and I can hardly lift my arms above my shoulders. 

A lot of anticipation leading up to today's workout and it was pretty much what I expected...a lot of hard work. I am doing P90X Classic with the Energy Booster Nutrition Plan. The nutrition has been easy to follow and the meals have been great tasting, but I have noticed that I still feel hungry a lot. I think I am going to increase my calories per day to prevent any out-of-plan snacking. On to the workout...

Day 1: Chest and Back

I drank a few glasses of water and ate an apple about 20 minutes prior to the workout in preparation. Friends have told me they ran out of steam halfway through because they hadn't eaten enough and I didn't want to make that mistake. I set up my Iron Gym pull-up bar, got out a couple dumbbells, and my newly-acquired push up bars ($14.95 at Dunham's and worth it!). Day 1 is all push ups and pull ups, with a couple of back exercises using dumbbells. Using the push up bars was great because it reduces stress on your wrists while giving you about 6 more inches of motion in the move. I tried pacing myself for the first set of 12 exercises but I still felt wasted during the second half. The highlight...or low light...was when I tried doing the second set of decline push ups and face-planted on my rug....where's a camera when you need one...that is a $10,000 AFV winner! So yeah, I hate declines and diamond push ups with a passion thanks to this workout. 

After Chest and Back, I had to pop in the Ab Ripper X and grit my teeth through another 16 minutes of hell. No breaks, no warm up, just Tony Horton and his physically fit lackeys rocking through each core exercise and proving to you how much of an out-of-shape asshole you really are. All the while spouting out phrases like "Just keep breathing, that will get you through these moves." Bull-fucking-shit! Breathing will not help me get my "heels to the heavens" or "V-Up" any better. It didn't help that I didn't have an exercise mat yet and I was getting rug burn. Ughhhh...Ab Ripper X sucks. But I am feeling great..weak...but great.

Today's Meals

Breakfast: Egg Beaters and Turkey bacon sandwich on Wheat Bagel and Juicy Juice Berry.
Snack: Protein Shake (Whey, Mixed frozen berries, 1/2 cup skim milk, water)
Lunch: Chicken Salad
Snack: Accelerade Recovery drink and pistachios
Dinner: Healthy Request Grilled Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Soup with crackers

So that's that. Day one is over and tomorrow will be a challenge...I have Plyometrics. Otherwise known as "The Beast." And I will most likely be very sore from today. To get my mind off of that I am going to have some beers tonight with friends. I have promised myself I will only drink once a week and when I do no shots and no heavy beers. Either wine or a very light beer with the lowest possible calories. It's okay to treat yourself once in a while, because if you didn't you are more likely to get off track with the plan. At least that's my excuse for drinking. 

See you tomorrow for Plyo! BRING IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment