Friday, May 22, 2009

Day 56...Rest Day and Phase 2 Recap

I took the rest day yesterday because I didn't feel another X Stretch was necessary. So that means I have officially completed Phase 2 of P90X! All of these small victories, minor accomplishments, they are adding up and it all leads to the next 5 weeks of punishment.

Phase 2 Recap.

As much as I struggled during the first couple weeks of the program I almost felt like Phase 2 was more challenging. My body had really come around during the final two weeks of Phase 1 and I was optimistic about how the next phase would go. But as previously stated, Chest/Shoulders/Tri's humbled me quite a bit.

Chest/Shoulders/Tri's- The hardest P90X workout...PERIOD! Three exercises into the workout and I was feeling whipped. From the Plange Push ups, Pike Press, Plyo push up, One Arm push up...this workout killed me every time! Although I was able to increase my reps for most of the exercises each time I did the workout I still felt unsatisfied with my performance...I thought I was better than this! This workout was a reality check...this program does NOT get easier!

Plyometrics- I really got into a groove with Plyo during this Phase. I've gone beyond the days of dizziness and struggling to keep my form and am now jumping and squatting for full reps. MK Lunges are still the most challenging but like everything else I am getting better. "The Beast" pushes you hard but the feeling you get once you've completed it is amazing! As Tony says, "Take in the fact that you just did that!" Of course he was referring to the Half Moons in Yoga but it's a similar feeling for Plyo.

Back/Bi's- The last new workout in the program was quite the challenge...but the reward is awesome! Trust me, I will never refer to my arms as "Guns" or shit like that, but I will venture to say that my biceps have never looked better. All you do is curl after curl after curl with a few pull ups for levity. I liked this workout a lot and the results are unlike anything I've experienced going to the gym.

Yoga X- My great P90X stress reliever! Yoga went pretty well during Phase 2 and I was able to complete a few new moves. By far the biggest accomplishment was completing the damn Right Angle Poses which was right up there with the still unconquered Half Moons. I held Crane for 30 seconds the other day and Wheel for 5 a week ago. When it comes to Yoga I take my small victories and feel good about it because you can't expect to complete this workout with perfect form on Day 1. Every time I start the workout I make sure to set a goal in my mind....Hold Crane longer, attempt Wheel again, complete Half Moon, etc. Unlike Kenpo which is quite easy, Yoga is a challenge every time and I love that! This is my favorite workout!

Legs/Back- I no longer despise this workout, probably because my leg strength has greatly improved. The Single Leg Wall Squats are still hard but the lunges have become much easier over the last two months. It was during Phase 2 that I started doing the pull ups without the chair and I improved those unaided reps by a couple each week. Once again, these are small victories but I will take them when I can get them.

Kenpo X- This is just a fun workout and I sweat a lot! At this point the only way to make it more challenging is to buy ankle and hand weights, which I have yet to do.

Ab Ripper X- I saw improvements during ARX. I can now complete every exercise in full except for Reverse Bicycles, Crunchy Frog, and on occasion Fifer Scissors. That will change in the next few weeks I promise!

Overall Phase 2 was challenging as hell, but VERY rewarding! Back in 2007...at my heaviest...I weighed in at 178. I weighed myself this morning and it said 166 with 12% body fat! That's almost 5 percent less body fat then when I started! I look forward to posting my Day 60 pictures because there are definite improvements. Once again thanks to you guys for reading these posts! I started this blog to keep myself honest during this program...not letting myself skip days or get off track. I never thought anyone would even read this, so thank you for the support! I look forward to the final phase and I will try to BRING IT every day! Later!

2 comments:

  1. For a little added motivation, remember that we read your posts for our own motivation. I'm about a week and a half behind you and seeing good results as well but really struggling to keep focused and consistent with my early morning workouts. Keep up the hard work. Only a few more weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always struggled trying to do workouts in the morning so to you I would say great job! As cliche as it is to say "keep pushing play" that is pretty much the best advice I can give to anyone...including myself. You've made it this far and that's a hell of an accomplishment. Keep Bringing It and I'll keep rambling on for you guys!

    ReplyDelete